Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 8: Thing 19: Explore

The assignment for this "thing" is to explore any of the site(s) from the web 2.0 awards list. I investigated 2 sites. The first site that I looked at relates to my love of travel. The site is known as Kayak. I found this site to be a very easy one to use. Price comparisons are made from all of the major travel companies. You can also filter your selections, by price, using a sliding scale. The hotel rating section is very informative. Detailed ratings are given for the various properties, based on traveler feedback. Photos of all of the properties provide a good idea of what each hotel has to offer.

I also looked at a site called Upcoming. This site is a guide to events and things to do. Searches are done by location. This is a great tool because you can choose locations, worldwide. I can see myself using it, frequently, while on vacation. Once a location has been chosen, you can narrow your search by date (there is a handy calendar widget) and by category. Once you've made your selection, you can purchase tickets and post the information to your calendar (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc.) and the calendars of others. Upcoming is, also, optimized to fit on any mobile phone. Very handy tool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment